Sunday, September 16, 2007

July 12, 2007, Lower Barnharnois Lock, Quebec

I had been at my summer cottage for a very short visit and had to head back to Ohio as my wife was soon going to have the first of two knee replacement surgeries. Being of sound and devious mind, I had reserved a few days to travel back via Canada, the St. Lawrence Seaway and the famous Welland Canal, a shipwatcher's paradise.
View from my summer cottage on Lake Memphremagog

I got a very late start from my cottage as I essentially had to close it up for the winter in case I didn't get back during the summer, and the need to gas up and get some road food at Derby Line, Vermont, cross the border at Stanstead, Quebec and get some groceries at a grocery store just before the interstate. Then it was a rush towards Montreal, bypassing the city by following the St. Lawrence Seaway.

Canadian & U.S. Customs
I arrived at the Barnharnois Locks west of Montreal in very late afternoon with beautiful sun that I love so much. Off in the distance the BBC Plata (imo 9291975) was coming across the lake from the east with Montreal in the background. It was carrying wind turbine blades, etc and would be the first of several BBC ships I would see this summer. Watched the "saltie" lock up at the Lower Barnharnois Lock which is accessible although a high fence blocks a lot of good views.
The Upper Barnharnois Lock does not seem to be accessible to the public.
BBC Plata approaches Lower Barnharnois Lock
BBC Plata moves out of the lower lock
The second and last ship I saw was the downbound CSL Assiniboine (imo 7413218) a bulker owned by the Canadian Steamship Lines, one of the more prominent lines on the Great Lakes and one I enjoy following.
Bow of CSL Assiniboine below the lock

They also have a salt water fleet as well. The CSL Assiniboine left the lock downbound and towards Montreal during a beautiful sunset and we watched it for some time.
Here is the other end!


CSL Assiniboine heads to Montreal in the dusk

As it was now getting dark, we packed up the cameras and headed down the road eventually getting to route 401 and headed west into Ontario. We drove until 2am and pulled over at a rest area to get a few hours sleep and get around Toronto before rush hour. Normally we can only sleep in the car for two hours at a time but I was out for 4 hours and woke up at 6am. I got a cup of tea at the always present in Canada Tim Horton's and headed towards Toronto -- managed to get there just when rush hour started!
Sunset on the Seaway


Afterglow after the sunset

No comments: